Are you looking for the best podcasts for women that cater to your interests and provide empowering content?
Podcasts continue to grow in popularity and are often valued as resources which can enrich your daily routine, give you the opportunity to learn new things, and keep you engaged on your commute or during downtime.
In this article, you will find recommendations on podcasts created by women, for women, covering topics such as wellness, politics, cooking, and general lifestyle advice.
These podcasts are not only informative, but also engaging and thought-provoking. They are led by inspiring women who are experts in their fields, offering relatable experiences and valuable perspectives.
Whatever your interests, there’s likely a podcast out there that speaks to you. So, go ahead and indulge in these exceptional podcasts, and discover fascinating conversations that captivate and empower women all around the world.
History and Evolution of Podcasts for Women
Feminism and Women’s Voices in Podcasts
Podcasts have come a long way in amplifying women’s voices and providing a platform to explore various topics and stories.
In the early days of podcasting, the majority of podcast hosts were male, leaving limited room for women’s perspectives on topics such as politics, career, and relationships. Nowadays, podcasts for women come in all shapes, sizes, and topics, providing a more diverse platform where female hosts can share their stories and explore issues often overlooked by male hosts.
The History Chicks is an example of an excellent podcast that discusses real and fictional women and their contributions to women’s history. Podcasts like these not only provide historical context, but also raise awareness about the vital role that women have played throughout history.
Women of Color Representation in Podcasts
A critical aspect of the evolution of podcasts for women is the increased representation of women of color. With the rise in interest in women’s issues, the need to include women from diverse backgrounds became more apparent.
Women of color face unique challenges and experiences that deserve attention. By showcasing the voices of women of color in podcasts, these narratives foster understanding, awareness, and intersectionality.
Furthermore, women of color have become more involved in podcast creation, amplifying their own unique stories and experiences. Their growing representation in podcasts further contributes to the rich and inspiring tapestry of women’s podcast content today.
Here are a few notable podcasts from women of color:
- “Hey, Girl.” – Hosted by Alex Elle, this podcast features intimate conversations with inspiring women from diverse backgrounds, discussing their journeys, self-care practices, and personal growth.
- “The Black Girl Bravado” – Hosted by best friends Germani and Brittany, this podcast is a motivating and encouraging podcast for Black Women everywhere with candid conversations on self-care, self-love, mental health, wellness and more.
- “The Friend Zone” – Hosted by Fran, Assante, and Dustin, this podcast explores mental health, self-care, pop culture, and personal development through the lens of black culture.
- “Therapy for Black Girls” – Dr. Joy Harden Bradford hosts this podcast, providing mental health advice and insights specifically tailored to black women’s experiences, covering topics such as self-worth, relationships, and self-care.
- “Rants & Randomness with Luvvie Ajayi” – Luvvie Ajayi, a writer, speaker, and digital strategist, shares her thoughts on various topics, including pop culture, success, and activism, while featuring interviews with guests who are making an impact.
- “The Stoop” – Leila Day and Hana Baba host this podcast that delves into black identity, culture, and experiences. They engage in candid conversations with guests to uncover stories that are often left untold.
These podcasts provide unique perspectives and insights from women of color, covering a wide range of topics and creating spaces for underrepresented voices to be heard.
Top Genres and Themes of Women-Centric Podcasts
Health and Wellness
In the realm of health and wellness, women-centric podcasts offer you a wide selection to choose from. You can find shows that address topics like mental health, fitness, nutrition, and self-care. These podcasts often feature interviews with experts, personal stories, and helpful tips to improve your overall well-being.
Here are a few health and wellness podcasts to check out:
- “The Balanced Blonde Podcast” – Hosted by Jordan Younger, this podcast explores a holistic approach to health and wellness, covering topics such as plant-based living, self-care, spirituality, and personal growth.
- “Latinx Therapy” – Adriana Alejandre hosts this podcast focused on mental health and emotional well-being within the Latinx community. It covers topics such as therapy, self-care, cultural identity, and breaking stigmas.
- “Food Heaven Podcast” – Registered dietitians Wendy Lopez and Jessica Jones co-host this podcast that combines nutrition, cooking tips, and overall wellness advice. They discuss topics like intuitive eating, body positivity, and healthy recipes.
- “Feel Good Effect” – Robyn Conley Downs hosts this podcast, which explores sustainable wellness practices, mindset shifts, and habits for a healthier lifestyle. It provides inspiration and practical tips for women looking to improve their well-being.
- “The Balanced Black Girl Podcast” – Hosted by Lestraundra Alfred, this podcast provides conversations and insights on holistic wellness, self-care, and personal growth for black women. It addresses topics like fitness, mental health, self-love, and body positivity.
Listening to such podcasts can make you more aware of your body and mind, guiding you towards a healthier lifestyle.
Love, Relationships, and Advice
Love and relationships are common themes in women-focused podcasts. You can listen to shows covering personal experiences, expert advice on navigating the complexities of dating and maintaining long-term relationships, and perspectives on issues like communication, trust, and intimacy.
A few good podcasts that fall into this category include:
- “Where Should We Begin? with Esther Perel” – Esther Perel, a renowned couples therapist, shares real-life therapy sessions with couples, offering insights into their dynamics, communication issues, and relationship challenges.
- “Dear Sugars” – Cheryl Strayed and Steve Almond offer empathetic advice on love, relationships, and life’s challenges. They respond to letters from listeners and explore complex emotional situations.
- “Love Letters” – Meredith Goldstein, an advice columnist, explores various aspects of love, dating, and relationships through interviews with experts and personal stories shared by listeners.
- “The Baggage Reclaim Sessions” – Natalie Lue shares insights and advice on emotional baggage, self-esteem, boundaries, and healthy relationships. She explores various topics related to love and personal growth.
- “The Dating Den” – Dating coach Marni Battista hosts this podcast, offering tips and insights on dating, attracting healthy relationships, and building self-confidence in the realm of love.
- “Why Won’t You Date Me with Nicole Byer” – Hosted by comedian Nicole Byer, she invites fellow comedians, friends, and ex-flings to talk romance and share their wildest dating tales, from cringeworthy first dates to jaw-dropping hookup stories.
Engaging with these podcasts can provide you with fresh insights and a sense of camaraderie in your journey towards fulfilling relationships.
Politics, News, and Social Justice
For those interested in staying informed about current affairs, there are numerous women-led podcasts covering politics, news, and social justice issues. You can hear discussions on policy-making, activism, gender equality, and various societal challenges faced by women across the globe.
Here are a few notable podcasts to explore:
- “The Weeds” – Hosted by Jonquilyn Hill, this podcasts break down the policies that shape our lives, from abortion to financial regulations to affirmative action to housing.
- “The Brown Girls Guide to Politics” – Hosted by A’shanti F. Gholar, this podcast amplifies the voices of women of color in politics and highlights their stories, experiences, and perspectives.
- “Code Switch” – Hosted by journalists of color, this podcast tackles the subject of race with empathy and humor. It explores how race affects every part of society — from politics and pop culture to history, food and everything in between.
These podcasts provide insightful perspectives, analysis, and discussions on politics, news, and social justice, led by women hosts who bring diverse voices and experiences to the forefront.
Celebrating Success: Notable Podcasts for Women
My Favorite Murder
If you’re a fan of true crime and dark humor, you’ll love My Favorite Murder, hosted by Karen Kilgariff and Georgia Hardstark. They discuss interesting and often lesser-known murder cases and engaging stories. With their unique, witty banter, you’ll be entertained and informed at the same time.
Terrible, Thanks for Asking
Terrible, Thanks for Asking dives into raw, open conversations about emotional experiences and life’s toughest moments. Hosted by Nora McInerny, this podcast covers topics like mental health, loss, and personal growth. By listening, you’ll be part of a community that celebrates vulnerability and empathizes with others.
For a unique, modern perspective on health and beauty, Poog is a must-listen. Hosted by comedians Kate Berlant and Jacqueline Novak, this podcast is a quirky blend of wit, wellness, and self-discovery. You’ll find humor and real-life discussions on topics like skincare, mental health, and more.
Empowering Women with Expertise and Personal Stories
Entrepreneurship and Business Podcasts
When it comes to entrepreneurship and business, you’ll find a good bit of podcasts featuring successful women who have overcome challenges and can offer actionable advice.
A few popular business/entrepreneurship podcasts for women include:
- “Hello Seven Podcast” – Hosted by Rachel Rodgers, the Hello Seven Podcast is an empowering resource for women entrepreneurs which shares actionable strategies, mindset shifts, and insights on wealth-building, marketing, sales, and scaling businesses.
- “The Goal Digger Podcast” – Hosted by Jenna Kutcher, this podcast offers practical tips, strategies, and interviews with successful entrepreneurs. It covers topics such as marketing, social media, productivity, and building a thriving business.
- “The Marie Forleo Podcast” – Hosted by Marie Forleo, this podcast provides insights on personal development, business growth, and pursuing a meaningful life. Marie interviews various experts and entrepreneurs, sharing actionable advice and inspiration.
- “The BizChix Podcast” – Hosted by Natalie Eckdahl, this podcast provides practical tips, strategies, and interviews with women entrepreneurs at different stages of their business journey. It covers various aspects of running a business and personal development.
These podcasts offer valuable advice, inspiration, and practical tips for women in business and entrepreneurship.
Motherhood, Marriage, and Family Life
If you’re seeking guidance on motherhood, marriage, and family life, there are podcasts available to provide support and share personal stories.
Here are some podcasts to consider:
- “Motherhood in Black and White” – Hosted by Gen X moms, Kaanji Irby and Tara Campbell, this podcast touches on parenting and pop culture and the tragedies and triumphs of motherhood with honesty, empathy and humor.
- “The Mom Hour” – Hosted by Meagan Francis and Sarah Powers, this podcast offers practical tips and supportive conversations about parenting, family dynamics, and self-care for moms.
- “Dem Black Mamas Podcast” – Hosted by Nekisha Killings and Bernetta Lanier, this podcast focuses on the experiences of black mothers, covering topics such as parenting, self-care, and community building.
- “The LifeBeats Project” – Hosted by Briana Johnson, this podcast shares inspiring stories of individuals and families, covering topics such as motherhood, marriage, faith, and personal growth.
These podcasts provide valuable resources, insights, and support for mothers, couples, and families navigating the journey of motherhood, marriage, and family life.
Self-Care and Personal Growth
Self-care and personal growth are essential for every woman. Podcasts like The Guilty Feminist delve into these topics, examining the balance between striving for success and the importance of self-love. They also discuss topics like therapy, grief, and science to help you better understand yourself and manage your emotions.
To further develop self-care skills, consider listening to Empowering Female Leaders, a podcast that focuses on the unique challenges faced by women in leadership roles and offers strategies to achieve success.
Here are a few more notable podcasts for self-care and personal growth:
- “The Mindful Kind” – Hosted by Rachael Kable, this podcast focuses on mindfulness and self-care, providing practical tips and techniques for living a more present and balanced life.
- “Happier with Gretchen Rubin” – Gretchen Rubin explores happiness, habits, and personal growth in this podcast, offering strategies for cultivating happiness and creating positive change.
- “Oprah’s Super Soul” – This podcast features conversations with thought leaders, authors, and spiritual figures, offering inspiration, wisdom, and guidance for personal growth and living a meaningful life
- “The Lavendaire Lifestyle” – Hosted by Aileen Xu, this podcast explores personal growth, self-care, and creating an intentional and fulfilling life. It covers topics like mindfulness, goal-setting, and self-discovery.
These podcasts offer valuable resources, insights, and practical tools for self-care, personal growth, and living a more intentional and fulfilling life.
Niche Podcasts for Specific Interests and Genres
If you’re a fitness enthusiast looking for both entertainment and workout motivation, you’ll love fitness podcasts. These podcasts address various topics, including exercise trends, mental health, and reaching your fitness goals. You can also find interviews with athletes and trainers, nutrition tips, and inspiring stories of strength and perseverance.
Here are a few notable fitness podcasts for women:
- “Results Not Typical” – Hosted by Pilates teacher and fitness professional Nikki Naab-Levy.
- “Strength In Details” – Hosted by Dr. A’Naja Newsome, a researcher and lecturer in exercise and sport science.
- “The Messy Middle Podcast” – Hosted by Dr. Alyssa Olenick who holds a PhD in Exercise Science.
These podcasts provide a range of fitness-related content, from workouts and nutrition advice to mindset and overall health tips.
Pop Culture Podcasts
Pop culture podcasts offer commentary on movies, TV shows, music, and celebrity news. So, if you’re a fan of keeping up-to-date with the latest trends, these podcasts are perfect for you.
- “Pop Culture Happy Hour” – Hosted by Linda Holmes, this NPR podcast features discussions on movies, TV shows, books, music, and more. The panel of hosts share their insights, reviews, and recommendations.
- “Pop Culture Confidential” – Hosted by Christina Jeurling Birro, this podcast features interviews with actors, directors, writers, and other industry professionals. It provides behind-the-scenes insights and discussions on the latest trends in pop culture.
- “The Read” – Hosted by bloggers Kid Fury and Crissle, this podcast covers hip-hop and pop culture’s most trying stars.
These podcasts offer entertaining and insightful discussions on various aspects of pop culture, providing a female perspective and bringing humor, analysis, and commentary to the forefront.
For avid readers searching for their next literary adventure, book recommendation podcasts are a wealth of information. Whether you prefer dystopian novels, romantic comedies, or deep dives into climate change, these podcasts have got you covered. Hosts often interview authors, discuss character development, and review the hottest books in various genres.
A few popular book recommendation podcasts include:
- “Well-Read Black Girl With Gloria Edim” – Hosted by Gloria Edim, this podcast brings readers and writers together to celebrate the written word.
- “What Should I Read Next?” – Hosted by Anne Bogel, this podcast features conversations with readers where they discuss their reading preferences and receive personalized book recommendations. Anne shares her insights and suggestions based on their tastes.
- “You’re Booked” – Hosted by Daisy Buchanan, this podcast is for literary nosy parkers who would like the chance to snoop around their favorite authors’ bookshelves.
By tuning into these shows, you’ll never be at a loss for your next page-turner. Explore new titles, classics, and hidden gems as you expand your reading list.
Ready to Explore the Best Podcasts for Women?
It’s clear that podcasts have become an increasingly popular medium for women seeking inspiration, information, and entertainment. From motherhood and marriage to entrepreneurship, self-care, and pop culture, there is a podcast out there for every interest and passion.
This blog post has highlighted some of the best podcasts for women across various niches and categories. Now it’s time to grab your headphones, tune in, and let these podcasts accompany and uplift you on your journey.